Geraniums are a popular plant because not only are they beautiful, they flower throughout the spring and summer and even into the fall. To save money and re-use your geraniums season after season, follow these easy steps to overwintering.
• Dig up the geraniums and shake the dirt from the roots.
• Either hang the plants upside down to a cool place, or put 1 to 2 plants in a paper sack.
• Once each month during the winter, soak the roots of each plant in water for 1 to 2 hours.
• When the chance of frost is gone next spring, prune or cut back each plant. Cut off any dead material.
• Plant the geraniums and water thoroughly.
This method of overwintering geraniums is practically fool-proof. Give it a try and you'll not only have beautiful, flowering geraniums each spring, just think of the money you'll save.